The TRAI released the “Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicator Report” for the Quarter ending March 2012.
This Report provides a broad perspective of the Telecom Services and presents the key parameters and growth trends for the Telecom Services as well as Cable TV, DTH & Radio Broadcasting services in India for the period covering January to March 2012, and is compiled on the basis of information furnished by the Service Providers.
According to TRAI, The number of telephone subscribers in India increased from 926.53 million at the end of Dec-11 to 951.34 million at the end of Mar-12, registering a growth of 2.68% over the previous quarter as against 2.16% during the QE Dec-11. This reflects year-on-year (Y-O-Y) growth of 12.41% over the same quarter of last year. The overall Teledensity in India has reached 78.66 as on 31st March, 2012.
Trends in Telephone subscribers and Teledensity in India
• Subscription in Urban Areas grew from 611.19 million at the end of
Dec-11 to 620.52 million at the end of Mar-12, taking the Urban
Teledensity from 167.85 to 169.55. Rural subscription increased from
315.33 million to 330.82 million, and the Rural Teledensity increased
from 37.48 to 39.22. Share of Rural areas in total subscription has
increased from 34.03% at the end of Dec-11 to 34.77% at the end of
• About 37.61% of the total net additions have been in Urban areas as
compared to 49.87% in the previous quarter. Rural subscription
growth rate increased from 3.22% in QE Dec-11 to 4.91% in QE Mar-
12, and Urban subscription growth rate declined from 1.63% in QE
Dec-11 to 1.53% in QE Mar-12.
Composition of Telephone Subscribers
• With 25.33 million net additions during the quarter, total wireless
(GSM + CDMA) subscriber base registered a growth of 2.83% over the
previous quarter and increased from 893.84 million at the end of Dec-
11 to 919.17 million at the end of Mar-12. The year-on-year (Y-O-Y)
growth rate of Wireless subscribers for Mar-12 is 13.26%. Wireless
Teledensity increased from 74.15 at the end of Dec-11 to 76.00 at the
end of Mar-12.
• Wireline subscriber base further declined from 32.69 million at the end
of Dec-11 to 32.17 million at the end of Mar-12, bringing down the
wireline Teledensity from 2.71 at the end of Dec-11 to 2.66 at the end
• Internet subscribers increased from 22.39 million at the end of Dec-11
to 22.86 million at the end of Mar-12, registering a quarterly growth
rate of 2.10%. Top 10 ISPs together hold 94.94% of the total Internet
• Number of Broadband subscribers increased from 13.35 million at the
end of Dec-11 to 13.81 million at the end of Mar-12, registering a
quarterly growth of 3.44% and Y-O-Y growth of 16.18%.
• Share of Broadband subscription in total Internet subscription
decreased from 59.6% at the end of Dec-11 to 60.4% at the end of Mar-
12. 85% of the Broadband subscribers are using Digital Subscriber
Line (DSL) technology.
Trends in Internet/Broadband subscription
• Monthly Average Revenue Per User (ARPU) for GSM service increased
by 1.66%, from `96 in QE Dec-11 to `97 in QE Mar-12, with Y-O-Y
decrease of 2.71%.
• MOU per subscriber per month for GSM service slightly increased by
4.10%, from 332 in QE Dec-11 to 346 in QE Mar-12. The Outgoing
MOUs (167) increased by 3.98% and Incoming MOUs (179) by 4.20%.
• Monthly ARPU for CDMA – full mobility service increased by 2.49%,
from `73 in QE Dec-11 to `75 in QE Mar-12. ARPU for CDMA has
increased by 14.54% on Y-O-Y basis.
• The total MOU for CDMA per subscriber per month increased by
1.62%, from 226 in QE Dec-11 to 229 in QE Mar-12. The Outgoing
MOUs (117) increased by 3.10% and Incoming MOUs (112) declined by
• Gross Revenue (GR) and Adjusted Gross Revenue (AGR) of Telecom
Service Sector for the QE Mar-12 has been `49,242.99 Crore and
`34,457.07 Crore respectively. There has been a decrease of 0.25% in
GR and an increase of 1.10% in AGR as compared to previous quarter.
The year-on-year (Y-O-Y) growth in GR and AGR over the same quarter
in last year has been 8.20% and 9.49% respectively. Pass-through
charges accounted for 30.03% of the GR for the quarter ending Mar-
12. The quarterly and the year-on-year (Y-O-Y) growth rates of passthrough
charges for QE Mar-12 are -3.26% and 5.29% respectively
• Average license fee as percentage of AGR is 8.28% in QE Mar-12 as
against 8.31% in previous quarter. The quarterly and the year-on-year
(Y-O-Y) growth rates of the average license fee for QE Mar-12 are
0.67% and 10.15% respectively.
• Access services contributed 78.10% of the total revenue of telecom
services. In Access services Gross Revenue & Spectrum Charges
increased by 2.00% & 1.45% respectively while AGR & License Fee
decreased by 0.11% and 0.24% respectively in the quarter ending Mar-
12 vis-à-vis previous quarter.
• Monthly Average Revenue per User (ARPU) for Access Services based
on AGR decreased from `100 in QE Dec-11 to `97 in QE Mar-12.